You are here:
Did you know?
- In exchange for a two or three-year (for Intramural General Research) commitment to your research career, NIH will repay up to $35,000 per year of your qualified educational debt. See NIH Loan Repayment Programs
- NIAMS Faculty List
- Training Opportunities
- Career Development and Outreach Branch
- Core Facilities
- Clinical Protocols
- IRP News and Events
- Office of the Scientific Director
- Office of the Clinical Director
Research in NIAMS Labs
Updated February 18, 2015
Welcome to NIAMS Labs from Dr. John O'Shea, NIAMS Scientific Director
As you will see, our program comprises scientists, physicians, nurses, trainees and administrators who work together to solve basic scientific problems and devise new treatments for arthritis, musculoskeletal and skin diseases.
NIH Researchers Reveal Link Between Powerful Gene Regulatory Elements and Autoimmune Diseases
NIAMS research fellow Golnaz Vahedi and other NIH intramural and extramural investigators have discovered the genomic switches of a blood cell key to regulating the human immune system.
SIRT1 Links Metabolism to Gene Expression in Skeletal Muscle Stem Cells
Sirtuin 1 (SIRT1) is an enzyme that regulates gene expression by removing acetyl groups from DNA-associated proteins. New research from the Sartorelli lab reveals that metabolic changes affect SIRT1 activity, thus leading to altered gene expression in the stem cells of skeletal muscle.
Casellas lab identifies mechanisms that facilitate the formation of B cell tumors
This work identifies super-enhancers and key elements that recruit activation-induced cytidine deaminase (AID), thus leading to DNA strand breaks in B cell proto-oncogenes. These AID-induced mutations contribute to formation of B cell lymphomas.
Congratulations to Dr. Alasdair Steven
The chief of the NIAMS Laboratory of Structural Biology Research received the Eduard Kellenberger Medal from the International Federation of Societies for Microscopy. The award recognizes achievement in microscopy applications in the life sciences, including biology, medicine and related fields. Dr. Steven accepted the medal at the 2014 International Microscopy Congress in Prague.
NIAMS Faculty List
Clinical and Translational Research
- NIAMS Clinical Trials and Natural History Studies at the NIH Campus
- NIAMS Sponsored Clinical Trials
- For all clinical trials click here
- NIH Researchers Reveal Link Between Powerful Gene Regulatory Elements and Autoimmune Diseases
- Research on Keratins Reveals Unexpected Link Between Hair Disorders and Dental Decay
- NIH immunologist elected to Institute of Medicine